NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - Winning this Saturday's historic Powerball jackpot currently coming in at nearly 292,000,000-1. At the moment, hoping to find one of Willy Wonka's golden tickets seems more realistic.
Of course there are folks out there who thought it a good idea to run the numbers on several other long shots that might come to pass.
- Dying from a dog bite: 1 in 20 million
- Becoming a saint: 1 in 20 million
- Becoming president: 1 in 10,000,000
- Dying from parts falling off an airplane: 1 in 10,000,000
- Being injured by a toilet this year: 1 in 10,000
- Finding a four-leaf clover on the first try: 1 in 10,000
- Spotting a UFO today: 1 in 3,000,000
- Dying from food poisoning: 1 in 3,000,000
- Dying from a shark attack: 1 in 300,000,000
- Dying from Measles: 1 in 300,000,000
- Being wrongly declared dead by a Social Security data entry mistake: 1 in 23,483
- Writing a New York Times best seller: 1 in 220
- Dating a millionaire: 1 in 215
- Dying from contact with hot tap water: 1 in 5,005,564
- Winning an Academy Award: 1 in 11,500
- Bowling a 300 game: 1 in 11,500
The source for this compilation can be found here.
The odds against winning the jackpot will almost certainly increase as more players purchase their shot at riches.