Supporters of controversial New Orleans monuments take fight to - FOX 8, WVUE, fox8live.com, weather, app, news, saints

Supporters of controversial New Orleans monuments take fight to federal court

PGAT Beauregard is one of the monuments scheduled to be removed. (FOX 8) PGAT Beauregard is one of the monuments scheduled to be removed. (FOX 8)
  • Supporters of controversial New Orleans monuments take fight to federal courtMore>>

  • Relocation of Confederate monuments could begin in days

    Relocation of Confederate monuments could begin in days

    Thursday, December 17 2015 4:31 PM EST2015-12-17 21:31:35 GMT
    Mayor Mitch Landrieu signs an ordinance to remove four Confederate monuments in New Orleans. (Source: City of New Orleans)Mayor Mitch Landrieu signs an ordinance to remove four Confederate monuments in New Orleans. (Source: City of New Orleans)
    Mayor Mitch Landrieu signed an ordinance Thursday calling for the relocation of four Confederate monuments in New Orleans. more>>

    Mayor Mitch Landrieu signed an ordinance Thursday calling for the relocation of four Confederate monuments in New Orleans.

    more>>
NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) -

A federal judge heard arguments Thursday over the removal of several New Orleans monuments already declared as public nuisance is by the city.

The plaintiffs in this case, preservation groups, spent the morning arguing their case to prevent the removals.

The federal judge told them, so far, he is having a tough time understanding their arguments. The group said moving the monuments violates a variety of federal and state laws and that several of the monuments have become part of the nearby federally funded streetcar line.

They also say due process was not afforded to everyone and also that the preservation groups have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars maintaining the monuments over the years.

Legal action was taken in December, the day after the City Council voted to declare the monuments a public nuisance and have them removed.

Thursday’s hearing is for the judge to decide whether or not to place a temporary restraining order, preventing the city from removing the monuments until a decision is made on the actual lawsuit.

Copyright 2015 WVUE. All rights reserved.

  • Supporters of controversial New Orleans monuments take fight to federal courtMore>>

  • Lawsuit filed to halt removal of monuments

    Lawsuit filed to halt removal of monuments

    Thursday, December 17 2015 8:04 PM EST2015-12-18 01:04:40 GMT

    After the New Orleans City Council voted in favor of an ordinance to remove four Confederate-era monuments, four organizations filed suit in federal court in to halt those efforts.

    more>>

    After the New Orleans City Council voted in favor of an ordinance to remove four Confederate-era monuments, four organizations filed suit in federal court in to halt those efforts.

    more>>
Powered by Frankly