Supporters of controversial New Orleans monuments take fight to federal court

Supporters of controversial New Orleans monuments take fight to federal court

NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - A federal judge heard arguments Thursday over the removal of several New Orleans monuments already declared as public nuisance is by the city.

The plaintiffs in this case, preservation groups, spent the morning arguing their case to prevent the removals.

The federal judge told them, so far, he is having a tough time understanding their arguments. The group said moving the monuments violates a variety of federal and state laws and that several of the monuments have become part of the nearby federally funded streetcar line.

They also say due process was not afforded to everyone and also that the preservation groups have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars maintaining the monuments over the years.

Legal action was taken in December, the day after the City Council voted to declare the monuments a public nuisance and have them removed.

Thursday's hearing is for the judge to decide whether or not to place a temporary restraining order, preventing the city from removing the monuments until a decision is made on the actual lawsuit.

Copyright 2015 WVUE. All rights reserved.