Jury reaches speedy guilty verdict in Bourbon St. shooting case - FOX 8 WVUE New Orleans News, Weather, Sports, Social

Jury reaches speedy guilty verdict in Bourbon St. shooting case

Trung Le (Source: OPSO) Trung Le (Source: OPSO)
NEW ORLEANS, LA (WVUE) -

A jury on Friday convicted Trung Le, 22, of manslaughter and attempted manslaughter in the June 2014 shooting on Bourbon Street that killed one person and wounded nine others.

Le had been facing the more serious charge of attempted second-degree murder.

Deliberations lasted just over an hour.

The shooting claimed the life of nursing student Brittany Thomas. Thomas's mother left the courtroom Friday night saying "justice for Brittany."

The defense had claimed that Le was acting in self-defense when another man, who hasn't been caught by police, walked up to Le and his friends with a gun. The prosecution, however, said Le was called down to Bourbon Street that night as "the enforcer" after his friends were robbed of some marijuana. Both sides agreed there were two shooters, but the prosecution said Le fired first. 

Le's sentencing is set for Feb. 18 at 8:15 a.m.

Copyright 2016 WVUE. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly