NEW ORLEANS, LA (WVUE) - The New Orleans Police Department wants revelers to keep the party on a high note, and that means taking some extra precautions. The department's 4th District says all it takes is for you to pay attention to your surroundings.
They offered the following tips:
• Lock and secure your vehicle doors and residence windows.
• Make sure your outside shed and A/Cc units are secured.
• Activate your house alarm.
• Never leave your car running or the keys in the ignition when you're away from it, warming your vehicle even for "just a minute."
• Always roll up the windows and lock the car, even if it's in front of your home.
• Never leave valuables in plain view, even if your car is locked. Put them in the trunk or at least out of sight.
• Remove portable electronic devices such as smart phones and GPS navigation systems, including suction cup or bean bag type mount. (Even the visible appearance of a suction cup ring on the glass windshield can be an enticement to a thief to break in and look for the GPS system.)
• Park in busy, well-lit areas.