NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - Two men were rescued by the New Orleans Fire Department from a burning building early Thursday morning.
The fire department received the call at 4:25 a.m. that a building was on fire with people trapped inside in the 1700 block of Jackson Avenue.
When crews arrived, firefighters found heavy fire at the front porch and front room area of the building. The trapped people could be heard screaming from burglar-barred windows in the rear of the building.
Firefighters were able to rescue the two men by knocking down the fire, covering the victims and bringing them out through the front door.
Both men were treated on the scene and one was taken to a nearby hospital to be evaluated for smoke inhalation.
The single-story, wood-framed house had been converted into a duplex with only way out and did not have working smoke alarms, according to a fire department release.
The two men told firefighters they were renting the house through Airbnb.