Jury convicts a New Orleans man for a 2010 murder - FOX 8 WVUE New Orleans News, Weather, Sports, Social

Jury convicts a New Orleans man for a 2010 murder

NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) -

U.S. Attorney Kenneth A. Polite announced Thursday that a jury returned a guilty verdict against Walter Porter for his participation in the November 2010 murder of Christopher Smith.

The jury found 40 year old Porter guilty for use of interstate commerce facilities in the commission of murder-for-hire and conspiracy to possess firearms. 

According to court documents, on Sunday, November 21, 2010 at 8:10 pm, Christopher Smith was found by Jefferson Parish Sheriff deputies, lying in the doorway of his Gretna apartment with multiple gunshot wounds.He was pronounced dead at the scene. 


 JPSO’s investigation ultimately revealed that Nemesis Bates paid co-defendants, Porter and Aaron Smith, $20,000 to murder Christopher Smith. Smith previously pled guilty and awaits sentencing.  Bates was sentenced to life in prison.

“Today’s jury verdict ensures that Walter Porter, one of the city’s most lethal hit men, will spend the rest of his life behind bars,” stated U.S. Attorney Polite.

U.S. District Judge Sarah S. Vance set sentencing on June 29, 2016.  Porter faces a mandatory penalty of life imprisonment.

U.S. Attorney Polite praised the work of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office for their investigation.

Copyright 2016 WVUE. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • On top of other serious problems, S&WB faces staffing shortages

    On top of other serious problems, S&WB faces staffing shortages

    On top of all the other problems, the Orleans Sewerage and Water Board is dealing with a manpower problem. There  are nearly 300 vacancies and a board that may not be able to conduct its business.

    more>>

    On top of all the other problems, the Orleans Sewerage and Water Board is dealing with a manpower problem. There  are nearly 300 vacancies and a board that may not be able to conduct its business.

    more>>
  • No Breaux, next man up at cornerback for the Saints

    Williams knows all too well about injuries taking away playing time. Michael DeMocker, NOLA.com | The Times-PicayuneWilliams knows all too well about injuries taking away playing time. Michael DeMocker, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
    With Delvin Breaux out for six weeks, one of the Saints motto's comes into play, next man up. "For all of us. We all have to step it up a notch. Because he's a big part of our defense. We can all play. We need to step it up for him, and also for the defense, to make sure we win games," said cornerback P.J. Williams. Williams missed 14 games last season due to a concussion he suffered at the Giants. Last week against the Browns was his first time hitting an opponent si...more>>
    With Delvin Breaux out for six weeks, one of the Saints motto's comes into play, next man up. "For all of us. We all have to step it up a notch. Because he's a big part of our defense. We can all play. We need to step it up for him, and also for the defense, to make sure we win games," said cornerback P.J. Williams. Williams missed 14 games last season due to a concussion he suffered at the Giants. Last week against the Browns was his first time hitting an opponent si...more>>
  • LSU acquires possible Mike VII

    LSU acquires possible Mike VII

    Wednesday, August 16 2017 4:59 PM EDT2017-08-16 20:59:34 GMT
    "Harvey" (Source: LSU)"Harvey" (Source: LSU)

    A potential Mike VII has arrived.

    more>>

    A potential Mike VII has arrived.

    more>>
Powered by Frankly