JEFFERSON PARISH, LA (WVUE) - Neighbors in Jefferson Parish will be able to get rid of their household hazardous materials during an event scheduled for Saturday, May 7.
Workers will accept paint, cleaners, oil, batteries, pesticides, and other items that require special disposal. In a press release, the parish warned that placing household waste in the garbage, or pouring it down the drain can pollute the environment and lead to health hazards.
Residents can drop off their unwanted items in the parking lot of the Joseph S. Yenni Building, 1221 Elmwood Park Blvd., between 9 a.m. and noon.
Here's a complete list of accepted items:
- Mercury-Containing Equipment: thermostats, thermometers and elemental mercury
- Paint: Latex coatings, oil paint, varnishes, and wood preservers in original container.
- Lawn & Garden Products: including pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, fertilizers, bug sprays.
- Household Cleaning Products: cleaning solvents, corrosive cleaners, oven cleaners, drain cleaners, disinfectants, degreasers.
- Lighting Components: ballasts, fluorescent and neon light bulbs and tubes
- Electronic Waste: computers, LCD monitors, printers, radios, camcorders, VCR's, CD players, DVD players, MP3 players, telephones, stereos, Xboxes, PlayStations, Wii, digital cameras and digital video cameras, digital picture frames, portable navigation and GPS devices (Garmin, Magellan, Tom-Tom), fax machines, circuit boards (of any type), processors, uninterruptible power supplies (UPS), toner cartridges, ink jet cartridges.
Workers will not accept:
- Non-residential waste of any kind
- Copy Machines
- Styrofoam, including peanuts
- Power Tools
- Fluorescent and Neon Light Bulbs and Lighting Ballasts
- Propane tanks
- Used oil, antifreeze, gasoline and automotive batteries (Motor oil, antifreeze, gasoline, automotive fluids and car batteries can be recycled at the following Parish drop-off sites throughout the year at 400 David Drive in Metairie and 6440 Lapalco Boulevard in Marrero.)