NEW ORLEANS, LA (WVUE) - From Mother's Day to graduation, the month of May is a full calendar of celebrations. Leading physicians from Tulane's Center for Medical Health remind women to add another celebration to their May calendars – Women's Health Awareness Month.
National Women's Health Awareness Month serves to educate women about steps they can take to continually improve their health. Tulane's women health experts kick off the month with important health and wellness tips for women of all ages.
One important exam focusing on preventative care for women is the well woman visit, also known as the annual exam. Tulane's physicians recommend this full check-up performed annually. They also explain how the focus of the well woman visit for patients change based on four age intervals.
- The adolescent patient should have their first gynecology visit between the ages of 13 and 15. Here are some important aspects:
- Focus on screening, guidance and immunization.
- Recommend vaccines, including the HPV vaccine that prevents cervical cancer.
- Discuss issues related to the menstrual cycle.
Young Woman Exam
- The young woman exam is an annual check-up for women ages 19 to 39. Here are some important aspects:
- Focuses on reproductive health.
- Discuss contraception methods.
- Discuss pregnancy planning for women intending on getting pregnant in the next 12 months.
- Screen for sexually transmitted infections.
- Perform Pap smear screening procedure for cervical cancer.
Mature Woman Exam
- The mature woman exam targets mature women ages 40 to 64. Here are some important aspects:
- Focuses on help with transitioning to menopause (the average age is 51).
- Perform mammogram screens for breast cancer.
- Perform colonoscopy screens for colon cancer.
Older Woman Exam
- The older woman exam is an annual check-up for women ages 65 and older. Here are some important aspects:
- Focuses on successful aging
- Perform bone density scan to rule out osteoporosis.
- Screen for cardiovascular disease.
Visit your doctor to find out more about your health. For more information or to schedule an appointment please visit, www.tulaneobgyn.com.