LAPLACE, LA (WVUE) - A five-year-old in Laplace gets her hands on a gun, and accidentally shoots and kills herself. The accident happened Saturday at 9:45 a.m. at the girl's home on Country Club Drive.
Many residents on Country Club Drive, were startled to hear the sound of sirens after five-year-old Haley Moore accidentally shot herself.
"It is very heartbreaking, very, very heartbreaking," resident Mary Breaux said.
Next door neighbor Joy Ursin says Haley's father, Eric, was in the shower at the time.
"The oldest kid, she told me because they came over to us when all this happened, she's traumatized, my sister, my sister shot herself," Ursin explained.
Ursin tried to comfort Haley's two older siblings while her father called for help. But the sheriff's office says the five-year-old passed away from her injuries at a hospital.
Devon Labat comments, "It's definitely sad when something like this happens, especially to someone so young."
Neighbors say Moore and his family have lived on the street for about four years. They describe him as a devoted father who was vigilant about gun safety.
Ursin explains, "When the kids are there, I know he'd always say that he has a designated area where he puts firearms away, I mean he's a retired veteran."
No one knows how Haley Moore got a hold of the gun that killed her. But some believe her death needs to spark a conversation, about keeping guns in a home with children.
"The gun should've been locked up but at the same time, you should, I think that from an early age, getting children familiar with them and enough to know it's not a toy is the biggest thing," Labat said.
Neighbors say Eric Moore served in Iraq and is recently divorced.
The sheriff's office hasn't released any more information, like who the gun belonged to or if any charges will be filed.