METAIRIE, LA (WVUE) - I'll go cliche to begin my OTA #6 report: reports of Drew Brees' demise have been greatly exaggerated. The 37-year-old Brees was as on-point as ever Thursday. He went 8-8 in two team periods with uncanny accuracy and flawless execution. He seemed to be a step ahead of the defense that was trying their best to confuse him with different looks. For this stage of the offseason, it was good to see Brees and a lot of the younger receivers/tight ends on the same page. It feels like they're a little ahead of the curve of what their actual time together would suggest they should be.
Brees Route Breakdown:
- Coby Fleener- deep out.
- RJ Harris- seam route.
- Brandon Coleman- nine/go route.
- Michael Thomas- out & up route, adjustment at the line.
- Fleener- opposite seam.
- Marcus Murphy- back shoulder on the sideline.
- Willie Snead- shallow cross.
- Harris- wide receiver screen.
-Welcome to the show, R.J. Harris. The undrafted product was the most impressive wide receiver with several big catches (his name is mentioned twice above), including a one-handed grab down the sideline on a pass from Garrett Grayson.
- Hard to ignore the excitement Brees seems to have for new wide receiver Michael Thomas. On play #4 described above, Brees said he made a signal to a route they had never repped before and Thomas picked up on it and ran the route perfectly. Of all the qualities a young receiver can have, being in the in the right place at the right time is without a doubt number one.
-Grayson shook off a lackluster start to team drills to complete some nice passes later in the drill.
- Cam Jordan returned to action Thursday and received his most extensive work of the offseason.
- In an otherwise tough day for the defense, Nick Fairley had a great practice. By my count, he would have had two sacks and was very disruptive.
- Andrus Peat was at left tackle today with both Terron Armstead and Zach Strief out.
- Brandin Cooks and Jairus Byrd spent the afternoon off to the side working with trainers. Keenan Lewis was able to do some individual drills.