METAIRIE, LA (WVUE) - Recognizing Robertson
Craig Robertson had another impressive practice Tuesday. Robertson had two pass break-ups as he spent the majority of the day with the first team. This is the second consecutive week Robertson has flashed his coverage skills. Last week, he had two pass break-ups as well.
P.J. Williams steps up
With Keenan Lewis limited in team drills, P.J. Williams got several reps with the first team on the outside. He had back-to-back pass breakups in the two-minute, though one likely would have drawn a flag. He also would have had a one-handed interception had his feet stayed in bounds on another play. It's good to see Williams making strides from an injury that cost him his rookie season. I'll continue to say, this secondary is not far from being a well-respected one in the NFL.
Meachem is back, for now
What a surprise it was to see a #12 on the field for the Saints. It was even more surprising to discover it was a familiar face…that wasn't Marques Colston. Robert Meachem is back on a tryout basis with the team and wearing his former teammate's number. Meachem said his weight is down from 232 to 218 pounds.
- -Michael Thomas continued his hot June. During red zone, Thomas caught a touchdown pass from Brees on a slant route.
- - Tim Lelito and Senio Kelemete split time with the first team at left guard.
- - For the second straight week, Obum Gwacham was with the first team at defensive end. Davis Tull was with the second team at the position. Kasim Edebali was still nursing an injury.
- - Drew Brees had a decent day but had two throws he would love to have back. During the two-minute, Brees just missed Brandon Coleman on a fade route. Later, Brees hit Brandin Cooks in the end zone but Cooks was ruled out of bounds.
- - Coby Fleener is steadily making progress with this offense. The first few weeks of practice, he didn’t look quite as confident in what he was doing. This week, he appears to have a better grasp. He made two big catches down the seam in team drills.
- -Kai Forbath had his first misses of the offseason. He missed one from 48 yards out during special teams work and hit the upright at the end of a two-minute drive.