RACELAND, LA (WVUE) - The Lafourche Parish Sheriff's Office announced the opening of two concealed handgun training courses. They will be held at the Sheriff's Office Shooting Range Facility, 3451 Highway 182, Raceland.
The classes are scheduled for Sunday, July 24 and Saturday, August 20. Each class will begin at 8:00 a.m. and last until approximately 5:00 p.m., with a lunch break.
Each course will include the following:
- One hour of instruction on handgun nomenclature and safe handling procedures of a revolver and semi-automatic pistol.
- One hour of instruction on ammunition knowledge and fundamentals of pistol shooting.
- Three hours of instruction on the use of deadly force and conflict resolution.
- (Includes a review of R.S. 14:18 through 14:22 and which may include a review of any other laws relating to the use of deadly force)
- One hour of instruction on handgun shooting positions.
- One hour of instruction on child access prevention.
- Two hours of actual live range fire and proper handgun cleaning procedures. Live range fire shall include 12 rounds each at 5 feet, 10 feet, and 15 feet for a total of 36 rounds.
- Must perform at least one safe reload of the handgun at each distance.
- Must score 100% hits within the silhouette portion of a NRA B-27 type silhouette target with 36 rounds.
The course cost is $110, and advance registration is suggested due to limited class size. The course is a pre-requisite for people applying for a concealed handgun permit from the state of Louisiana. Click here to register online for other course.
Participants will need to bring 50 rounds of ammunition, eye protection (sunglasses or eyeglasses are sufficient) and ear protection (muffs or plugs).