WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, WV (WVUE) - Fresh off their first off day, the Saints put in another spirited effort for practice number six. They shifted things down to the lower field and were in just shoulder pads and shorts. Overall, the defense got the upper hand.
Keenan Lewis officially came off the PUP list Wednesday. Lewis' work was limited. He participated in seven-on-seven's and in the final team period. The Saints will obviously be bringing him back slowly as it was pretty obvious he needs to be eased back into work.
Play of the Day
Rookie Vonn Bell is a ball hawk. He just has a knack for being around the ball in crucial situations. He struck again Wednesday with his second interception of camp in what appeared to be a Cover 2 or Cover 3 defense. Garrett Grayson's pass was not well thrown but Bell was able to track it in flight to come up with what he made look like an easy pick.
Both of Bell's interceptions have come while tracking the ball deep. If he keeps demonstrating this ability, he'll be very hard to keep off the field even if he isn't technically a starter.
By my count, Bell's two interceptions lead the team.
- Kai Forbath was 4/4 on field goals Wednesday. Connor Barth was 3/4. Forbath has not missed a field goal in camp and is clearly in the lead in this battle.
- Another practice, another day I came away impressed with Craig Robertson's ball skills. Robertson had another incredible pass break up on a deep seam route. Robertson is flirting defensive back numbers with his pass break up stats this camp.
- Tyeler Davison is getting plenty of reps with the first team at defensive tackle. He made a nice play today when broke through the line to stop Mark Ingram for a loss.
- I've raved about the Drew Brees-Coby Fleener connection all camp but today was one of the few times Fleener didn't win his one-on-one battle. Brees lobbed one up to Fleener on the sideline. Both Fleener and Ellerbe went up for it and it appeared Fleener was going to come down with it until just before hit the ground and Ellerbe was able to knock the ball away.
- In addition to Lewis, Erik Harris and Nick Fairley both returned to practice.