NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - A federal appeals court will hear arguments in the fight over Confederate era monuments in New Orleans and whether the city can legally take them down.
City leaders deemed the monuments a nuisance last year and scheduled to remove them.
But they agreed to leave the monuments alone while the issue makes its way through the courts.
A three-judge panel of the U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals will decide the fate of the P.G.T. Beauregard, Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis and Liberty monuments.
Some people believe the historical statues should stay put.
But a group wanting them down believes the monuments represent oppression.
Scott Gloden of Take 'em Down Nola said the monuments are not true to the fabric of the city.
"Throughout the city there's hundreds of monuments that date back to confederacy and are solely dedicated to white supremacy," Gloden said.
"We would sure like to keep them up, we don't think there's any harm in leaving them in place as they are," said Pierre McGraw, a supporter of the monuments. "I mean they've been there forever and that's what we were hoping to convince a judge of."
The debate over the monuments spilled over into Jackson Square over the past weekend.
Take 'em Down Nola and the Black Lives Matter movement protested Saturday.
White nationalist David Duke also spoke for a few minutes, before leaving as things heated up.
Protestors threatened to rip the Andrew Jackson statue down, but New Orleans police barricaded the iconic statue.