NEW ORLEANS, LA (WVUE) - The New Orleans Fire Department battled a two-alarm fire in Algiers Point Wednesday morning.
According to officials, firefighters were called to a fire in the 700 block of Teche Street just after 11 a.m.
When firefighters arrived at the scene, they found a one-story single family home engulfed in flames. Due to the size of the fire and speed at which it spread, a second alarm was immediately called.
Officials say the fire caused the part of the rear of the home to collapse. The fire then spread to a nearby apartment complex but firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading farther by keeping the fire contained to just the first two units. All of the residents in the apartment complex were evacuated from the building as a safety precaution.
The owner of the home told firefighters that the fire began from a small gas leak from his riding lawnmower parked behind the home. The fire then caught onto the rear of home. He told firefighters that he and an employee attempted to extinguish the fire themselves but the fire proved to be too big.
Firefighters managed to get the fire under control at 11:42 a.m.
There were no injuries reported in the fire.