9 shot, 1 killed in French Quarter mass shooting - FOX 8 WVUE New Orleans News, Weather, Sports, Social

9 shot, 1 killed in French Quarter mass shooting

At least one person was killed early Sunday morning during a shooting in the French Quarter. (FOX 8) At least one person was killed early Sunday morning during a shooting in the French Quarter. (FOX 8)
Demontris Toliver (Source: Facebook) Demontris Toliver (Source: Facebook)
NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) -

New Orleans police say at least one person is dead, and nine others are injured, after at least one gunman fired shots in the French Quarter early Sunday morning.

The shooting happened around 1:26 a.m. at the intersection of Bourbon St. and Iberville St. Officers responded to the scene to find at least 10 people shot - two women and eight men.

Ambulances took the victims to a nearby hospital for treatment. 

The deceased victim has been identified as 25-year-old Demontris Toliver, a New Orleans native. Friends of Toliver told WAFB that he lived in Baton Rouge where he worked as a tattoo artist. 

Of the remaining nine remaining victims, five have been treated and released while four remain hospitalized. Their ages range from 20-37, according to police.

The popular area was crowded because of the Thanksgiving holiday and Bayou Classic football game in the Superdome. Police Chief Michael Harrison said more than 30 officers were in the area because of the game.

He adds that the shooting stemmed from an argument between two men who are not from New Orleans. The suspects remain at large, according to Harrison. 

WARNING: The following video contains content that might be offensive to some viewers

"This was not the place or time to bring firearms to the Bayou Classic or any event," he said. "This is not the place where something like this should happen."

Police made two arrests. Both men were carrying firearms. One of the individuals was identified as a victim in the shooting. He is being treated for his injuries. The second arrest was an unrelated individual found to be in illegal possession of a handgun at the scene.

"We're going to pursue the investigation because there is a lot we don't know," New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu said.

Streets were closed in the area until 3:45 a.m.

The mass shooting is the second to happen on Bourbon St. since 2014. Ten people were shot at about 2:45 a.m. in the 700 block of Bourbon St. Trung Le was sentenced earlier this year to a life in prison in that case for the killing of Brittany Thomas.

Harrison said his investigators are still trying to develop a motive for the shooting. If you know anything, call Crimestoppers at 504-822-1111.

RELATED STORY: 

Friends: Man killed in Bourbon Street shooting was tattoo artist in Baton Rouge

Copyright 2016 WVUE. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly