NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - The New Orleans Police Department is looking for a 31-year old woman, wanted for kidnapping another woman in the French Quarter. Police say Jovanda Morris is one of four people, all women, who kidnapped a woman from Conti and Dauphine streets A warrant has been issued for Morris' arrest.
The victim told detectives that on November 17, 2016 she was kidnapped and robbed by four females posing as an Uber driver and her passengers. She stated that at 5:15 a.m., a four-door white vehicle, believed to be a 2013-2016 Nissan Altima, approached her at the intersection of Conti and Dauphine streets and the driver posed as an Uber driver to lure the victim into the vehicle.
The women took the victim's cell phone and forced her to purchase items and withdraw money from ATMs. They also took the victim's credit cards and her Social Security card before allowing her to exit the vehicle.
Police ask If you have any information regarding this incident or the whereabouts of Jovanda Morris to notify any Eighth District detective at 504-658-6080. Citizens with information that can help solve crimes are asked to call Crimestoppers at 504-822-1111 or toll-free 1-877-903-STOP.
The NOPD also released a list of Uber Safety Tips, listed below
1. Request Your Ride Inside: Wait safely indoors while keeping an eye on your app for your driver to arrive.
2. Know Your Uber, Avoid Scams: When you request an Uber, you're given the driver's name, photo and license plate number in your app. Before you get in the car, check the license plate number and look in the window to make sure the driver matches the photo. When you open the door, ask for the driver's name. Always remember Uber rides can only be requested through the app, so never accept street hail solicitations from those claiming to be Uber.
3. Be a Backseat Rider: If you're riding alone, choose to sit in the backseat. This ensures you have the option of exiting either side of the vehicle after it safely stops to avoid moving traffic.
4. Share Your Trip Details: While en route, you can monitor your own trip in your app and share your trip details with friends and family. Simply tap the "Send Status" button to immediately send your driver's name, photo, vehicle, and where you are on the map to a friend or family member, so they know when you've safely arrived. They don't even need to download the app to track your trip!
5. Protect your Personal Information: As you would anywhere, be cautious when sharing personal information. There is no need to share your phone number or personal contact details. Riders and drivers' phone numbers are hidden when they communicate via the Uber app to protect everyone's privacy.
6. Give Feedback: Your feedback helps Uber improve the experience for everyone, maintain a high quality service and provide accountability.
7. Plan Ahead: Take time to review the safety features available to you in the app before you head out with friends, so you know how to use them.
8. Be Kind and Respectful: Please treat your driver as you would want to be treated. Be respectful of his or her personal vehicle. Our community guidelines apply to both riders and drivers.
9. Follow Your Intuition: Trust your instincts and use your best judgement when using the Uber app. Be aware of your surroundings. And if you ever feel you're in an emergency situation, always call 911 immediately.
10. Don't Forget - Buckle up: You may not be in the driver's seat, but that's no excuse to forget the Golden Rule of car ridership.