Washington Parish kidnapping, sexual assault case nets three arrests

Washington Parish kidnapping, sexual assault case nets three arrests
(Source: WPSO)
(Source: WPSO)
(Source: WPSO)
(Source: WPSO)

WASHINGTON PARISH, LA (WVUE) - Three Washington Parish residents face charges related to the kidnapping and rape of a woman last Friday.

Deonta Miller, 17, a of Franklinton, faces two counts of aggravated rape, one count of aggravated burglary, one count of aggravated kidnapping and one count of carjacking. His bond has been set at $650,000.

Robert J. Lester, 48, of southwest Washington Parish, faces charges of convicted felon in possession of a firearm, aggravated kidnapping, carjacking, and aggravated burglary of an inhabited dwelling.  His bond has been set at $350,000.

Victoria Lester, 18, also of southwest Washington Parish and niece to Robert J. Lester, faces a charge of accessory after the fact.  Her bond has been set at $5,000.

Around 1:20 p.m. on Friday, the Washington Parish Sheriff's Office received a call reporting his wife, his firearm collection and their vehicle was missing.

He suspected foul play.

Officers from several agencies responded to the call.

Officers searched the area and after approximately 30 minutes, a Probation and Parole officer found the vehicle and the female victim on a hunting club road.

The vehicle had become stuck in the mud and the suspect fled into the woods.

At that time, the victim also fled into nearby woods in the opposite direction her assailant had taken.

When she saw the officer, she came out of hiding and went to him.

Officers converged on the area, searched the woods in the direction Miller had fled, found him and took him into custody.

Miller was carrying three pistols and a mask and was still wearing latex gloves he used to avoid leaving fingerprints or other evidence.

The arrest came within an hour of the complaint being received.

When questioned, Miller confessed.

Miller went to the front door of the victim's house posing as a package delivery person. When the victim opened the door to receive the package, Miller forced his way in by gunpoint.

He pulled a mask over his face, tied up the victim, stole numerous firearms located in the house, forced the victim out of the house and into her vehicle and then sped away.

After turning onto the hunting camp road, Miller stopped the vehicle and sexually assaulted the victim.

During the investigation, it was learned that Miller had been brought to the area by Robert J. Lester who lived in the vicinity and who had prepared the fake delivery box.

Once Miller fled the residence with the victim, Lester followed in his own vehicle.

Miller threw the stolen firearms out of the car and Lester picked them up.

During interviews, Lester confessed.

Once Lester had retrieved the guns, he drove to Franklinton where he met his niece, Victoria Lester, and asked her to help him hide the guns.

The niece identified an abandoned home near Franklinton where she and her uncle hid the weapons.

Police do not currently believe Victoria Lester was aware of the crimes committed by Miller and her uncle.

Copyright 2016 WVUE. All rights reserved.