Girl nearly chokes in magic trick gone wrong - FOX 8 WVUE New Orleans News, Weather, Sports, Social

Girl nearly chokes in magic trick gone wrong

The 10-year-old swallowed a quarter and fell to her knees, coughing and thinking she was going to die. (Source: KTLA/CNN) The 10-year-old swallowed a quarter and fell to her knees, coughing and thinking she was going to die. (Source: KTLA/CNN)

RANCHO CUCAMONGA, CA (KTLA/CNN) – A 10-year-old in California swallowed a quarter and almost choked on it while trying to recreate a magic trick she saw on YouTube.

Morgan Renear, 10, loves magic, especially anything Criss Angel does. So, she recently tried to recreate a coin trick of Angel’s that she had seen on YouTube.

The girl put two coins in her mouth and tilted her head back, but she accidentally swallowed one of them.

“I was like, ‘I’m going to die. I’m going to die.’ I’m freaking out. I was like, ‘What do I do?’” Morgan said.

She fell to her knees, trying to cough up the coin, while her father was downstairs, unaware anything was wrong.

“We got lucky that it didn’t go into one of her windpipes and end up stopping her from breathing or choking (her) or something,” said Daniel Renear, Morgan’s dad.

He says it’s scary to think he wouldn’t have known something was happening if the situation had been worse.

Morgan says she had done the trick about four times before, and this was the first time it ever went wrong.

“I’ve never done anything serious like that,” the girl said.

Dr. Ravi Garehgrat examined Morgan, doing an X-ray to make sure the coin wasn’t in the upper part of her airway or esophagus.

The X-rays initially showed the coin was in Morgan’s stomach, then her intestine where it remained for at least 10 days.

Morgan says the accident was a learning experience.

“I’m going to watch not magic videos and then do them. I’m just going to watch them and enjoy them, not do them,” Morgan said.

Morgan’s mom, Erin Renear, says parents should make sure their kids know what they see on YouTube shouldn’t be copied at home.

“It’s dangerous, and they could die,” she said.

Copyright 2017 KTLA, Morgan Renear/YouTube, Criss Angel/YouTube via CNN. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly