(WVUE) - Louisiana will offer a break on state sales taxes this weekend to stock up on hurricane-preparedness items.
The sales tax holiday gives residents a two percent break on the cost of these items, up to $1500:
- Any portable self-powered light source, including candles, flashlights and other articles of property designed to provide light;
- Any portable self-powered radio, two-way radio, or weather band radio;
- Any tarpaulin or other flexible waterproof sheeting;
- Any ground anchor system or tie-down kit;
- Any gas or diesel fuel tank;
- Any package of AAA-cell, AA-cell, C-cell, D-cell, 6 volt, or 9-volt batteries, excluding automobile and boat batteries;
- Any cell phone battery and any cell phone charger;
- Any nonelectric food storage cooler;
- Any portable generator used to provide light or communications or preserve food in the event of a power outage;
- Any storm shutter device;
- Any carbon monoxide detector; and
- Any reusable freezer pack such as "blue ice."
This applies only to purchases this Saturday and Sunday, May 27 and 28.
Hurricane season begins June 1 and ends November 30.