(WVUE) - The nonprofit group Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) has been tracking hate groups of all kinds in the United States for years. The SPLC is a legal advocacy organization specializing in civil rights and public interest litigation.
In a statement on its website they claim:
Part of the SPLC mission is to identify hate groups that are operating around the country, and they do so with what they call a Hate Map. They claim there were 917 active hate groups operating in the U.S. in 2016. Among the groups they track are Neo-Nazis, Black Separatists, Anti-Immigration, Anti-LGTB to name only a few.
Checking the SPLC hate map in Charlottesville, Va. after the attacks over the weekend, there are no hate groups identified in that city. In nearby Richmond the SPLC identifies not one, but two Ku Klux Klan groups that are known to operate there.
In Louisiana, the following groups operate, according to the SPLC map:
- National Socialist Movement, Louisiana (statewide) NEO-NAZI NATIONAL SOCIALIST MOVEMENT
- Southern National Congress, Louisiana NEO-CONFEDERATE
- Nation of Islam, Baton Rouge, Louisiana BLACK SEPARATIST NATION OF ISLAM
- ACT for America, Baton Rouge, Louisiana ANTI-MUSLIM
- Loyal White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, Baton Rouge, Louisiana KU KLUX KLAN
- Confederate White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, Saint Martinville, Louisiana KU KLUX KLAN
- Christian American Ministries, Greensburg, Louisiana CHRISTIAN IDENTITY
- Nation of Islam, Monroe, Louisiana BLACK SEPARATIST NATION OF ISLAM
- Aryan Nations (Louisiana) Converse, Louisiana NEO-NAZI ARYAN NATIONS
- South Africa Project, Converse, Louisiana WHITE NATIONALIST
- League of the South Logansport, Louisiana NEO-CONFEDERATE LEAGUE OF THE SOUTH
- Nation of Islam, New Orleans, Louisiana BLACK SEPARATIST NATION OF ISLAM
- Israel United In Christ, New Orleans, Louisiana BLACK SEPARATIST
- Nation of Islam, Shreveport, Louisiana BLACK SEPARATIST NATION OF ISLAM