NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - New Orleans Chief Michael Harrison held a news conference Monday to update the public on the traffic plans for the Highrise.
Two lanes remain closed I-10 East on the Highrise following a fire caused by burning tires under the bridge last week.
Harrison said the Highrise will remain at one lane of traffic,but Third District officers, Seventh District officers, and state police will help monitor alternate routes.
Stoplight schedules on the alternate routes will also be altered to help with traffic flow, according to Harrison.
The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development says the eastbound right lane is the only travel lane open for commuters until completion of temporary emergency repairs.
Work on the bridge can last for a few days so commuters are urged to plan extra time.
Harrison did not say when the repairs would be completed, but should they last through Thanksgiving he and the department would issue another update.
To avoid delays, drivers can use Chef Highway to the Danziger Bridge for an alternate.
Leon C. Simon to the Seabrook Bridge is another option and St. Claude Avenue to Paris Road for other options.