KENTWOOD, LA (WVUE) - A wheelchair-bound Kentwood woman narrowly escaped a trailer fire after her oven caught fire a few weeks ago.
On November 18, Lisa Shaffett noticed something burning behind her stove. Shaffett said flames were shooting from behind her oven, and set a pot filled with oil on fire.
Shaffet said she attempted to throw the pot out of her front door, but the oil splashed onto her arm, severely burning her.
She began to fear that her wheelchair would get stuck on debris in her trailer, so she abandoned the chair and crawled out of her home.
She tried to use the outside water facet to spray the flames, but was unable to contain the blaze.
Kentwood Volunteer Fire Department firefighters showed up and began to battle the fire.
They were able to save one of her dogs, Paco, who was still inside the trailer at the time of their arrival.
Shaffett was treated at the Baton Rouge burn unit.
The Humane Society of Louisiana contacted a veterinarian who was able to examine her four dogs. Paco was treated for smoke inhalation.
Shaffett lost almost all her belonging, and the Humane Society has coordinated a holiday collection drive to assist her in replacing her things.
Items sought are:
- Cooking utensils
- Queen or full size bed
- Can opener
- Baking pans
- Two full size mattresses
- Gift cards
- Monetary donations
To make arrangements to deliver donations, please contact Shaffett at 985-514-2788.