NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - Twenty parents in Lafourche Parish were arrested and charged with not paying child support.
Members of multiple agencies fanned out across the area for a roundup of "deadbeat" parents who are behind in their child support payments, according to Lafourche Sheriff Craig Webre.
Arrest warrants were prepared on 66 individuals who are collectively owe child support payments of over $1.1 million, according to the report.
"The efforts made by law enforcement this morning will make a dramatic difference in our ability to recover the outstanding support payments so many children depend on in Lafourche Parish," said District Attorney Kristine Russell. "We are incredibly appreciative of Sheriff Webre, Chief Brian Zeringue, Chief Jon Callais, and Louisiana Probation and Parole in helping bring these individuals to justice today."
Of the 66 individuals, 28 were specifically targeted in the roundup as the highest priority.
A total of 20 individuals were arrested as part of the operation, and two other fugitives were arrested who were not part of the operation.
Additional arrests are expected to be made in the coming days, according to Webre.
The combined child support payments owed by the arrested individuals amounts to nearly $430,000.
The following individuals wanted for failure to pay child support were arrested as part of the operation:
- Taylor Adams, 42, of Lockport
- Ernest Bellanger III, 35, of Mathews
- Jared Benoit Sr., 31, of Thibodaux
- Terry Bourg, 34, of Galliano
- Clifton Coleman Sr., 24, of Raceland
- James Dominique Jr., 26, of Gheens
- Kealen Duet, 44, of Golden Meadow
- Casey Flores, 33, of Galliano
- Jordan Foret, 40, of Raceland
- Samuel Grabert, 22, of Raceland
- Nolan Guidry, 40, of Golden Meadow
- Craig Leblanc, 42, of Larose
- Dallas Ledet, 39, of Thibodaux
- Jamie Martinez, 27, of Thibodaux
- Robert Martinez, 36, of Lockport
- John Matherne, 44, of Cut Off
- Frederick Owens, 32, of Thibodaux
- Michael Robinson, 44, of Thibodaux
- Shantell Taylor, 42, of Golden Meadow
- Robbie Terrebonne, 34, of Larose
Anyone who owes child support payments is encouraged to contact the Lafourche Parish District Attorney's Office at (985) 448-3422 as soon as possible.
Anyone who knows the location of any person wanted for failure to pay child support can submit information anonymously via Crime Stoppers Bayou Region by calling 1-800-743-7433 or by submitting a tip online at www.crimestoppersbr.org.