An intersection has reopened after long anticipation from Bourbo - FOX 8, WVUE, fox8live.com, weather, app, news, saints

An intersection has reopened after long anticipation from Bourbon Street repairs

FOX 8 Photo FOX 8 Photo
NEW ORLEANS, LA (WVUE) -

An intersection on Bourbon Street is back open for pedestrians - something people have been waiting weeks for in the French Quarter.

The intersection of Bienville Street at Bourbon Street had been closed since Oct. 19 to install new underground utilities and to repave. Crews have been working hard to it open, but there is still a lot of work to be done.

Businesses around the the intersection breathed a sigh of relief after learning it was open, saying it was a long time coming.

"I think we and all the other businesses down here will be jumping for joy at five o'clock if that intersection in fact does get open. We've been looking forward to this for a very long time," Remoulade co-owner Archie Casbarian said. 

While this portion of the project began two months ago, businesses are feeling the effects of the entire Bourbon Street repair project.

"I mean, it's been keeping business down for a long time. and the bad thing is, even though they've kind of moved on from this block and they're taking up the next block, now they're still storing everything on this block, keeping it messy," said Eric Price, bartender at Daiquiri Delight.

But he's glad the intersection is reopening.

"That is exciting, I'm so happy to actually have more foot traffic here, cause that's what we depend on on Bourbon Street," Price said.

He's especially concerned with the thousands of visitors expected for end of year events.

"We want to show our best foot forward, show this is what we're about, not this messy, this is how we are, this is how we live you know? It's like you want to clean up your house before mom comes over," Price said.

The noise was especially loud in front of restaurant Remoulade.

"It's been a little bit delayed in the completion date and so we've tried to be as patient as possible. We're really looking forward to getting things open finally after all this time," Remoulade Co-owner Archie Casbarian said.

His business also stands fairly empty.

"The work in general has really hurt all lot of these businesses down here. closure of the intersections especially," Casbarian said.

The project moves on with Public Works representatives closing Bourbon at Conti Street Friday and Saturday.

Bourbon at St. Louis Street will be closed beginning Monday. 

Aside from businesses, some visitors said they were disappointed because they did not expect to see all this roadwork going on, and they hoped to get the full Bourbon Street experience.

However, a tourist from Denmark wasn't phased.

"it reminds me of home because there's also a lot of road construction going on at the moment, so there's a whole metro line being built and the whole city is a mess, so I guess it's quite normal," Asger Polet said.

Copyright 2017 WVUE. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Mayor and city officials provide updates on winter weather

    Mayor and city officials provide updates on winter weather

    FOX 8 photoFOX 8 photo

    MOBILE Users can view the live press conference here. New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu and city officials will update residents on winter weather precautions. The update is scheduled to begin at 3:30 p.m. Expected to be in attendance: Mayor Mitch Landrieu Aaron Miller, Director, NOESEP Chief Michael Harrison, Superintendent, NOPD Chief McConnell, Superintendent, NOFD Dr. Jeffrey Elder, Director, EMS Dani Galloway, Director, DPW Dr. Joseph Kanter, Director, Health Departmen...

    more>>

    MOBILE Users can view the live press conference here. New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu and city officials will update residents on winter weather precautions. The update is scheduled to begin at 3:30 p.m. Expected to be in attendance: Mayor Mitch Landrieu Aaron Miller, Director, NOESEP Chief Michael Harrison, Superintendent, NOPD Chief McConnell, Superintendent, NOFD Dr. Jeffrey Elder, Director, EMS Dani Galloway, Director, DPW Dr. Joseph Kanter, Director, Health Departmen...

    more>>
  • WANTED: Man accused of beating 60-year-old to death in Lower Garden District

    WANTED: Man accused of beating 60-year-old to death in Lower Garden District

    Garret Ward, 25 (Source: NOPD)Garret Ward, 25 (Source: NOPD)

    New Orleans police believe a 25-year-old Baton Rouge man is responsible for beating a 60-year-old man to death in the Lower Garden District.

    more>>

    New Orleans police believe a 25-year-old Baton Rouge man is responsible for beating a 60-year-old man to death in the Lower Garden District.

    more>>
  • Witness said road rage in Joe McKnight case was 'tit-for-tat'

    Witness said road rage in Joe McKnight case was 'tit-for-tat'

    Jefferson Parish Sheriff's OfficeJefferson Parish Sheriff's Office

    The prosecution presented its case as witnesses testified in the Ronald Gasser murder trial on Tuesday. Gasser is accused of murdering former NFL and John Curtis High School player Joe McKnight in December 2016.

    more>>

    The prosecution presented its case as witnesses testified in the Ronald Gasser murder trial on Tuesday. Gasser is accused of murdering former NFL and John Curtis High School player Joe McKnight in December 2016.

    more>>
Powered by Frankly