Between work, school and extracurricular activities, little time is left for sit-down meals. Americans are turning to snacks for quick-meal solutions. Try these delicious suggestions that are sure to suit a range of snacking occasions.
1) Nutritious Foods in a Pocket Stuff a pita bread with any combination from the fridge. Try pasta salad tossed with shredded cheese, apple cubes and raisins topped with yogurt, or deli meat and cheese layered with veggies.
2) Glorious Leftovers Portion leftovers such as lasagna, macaroni and cheese or mashed potatoes in microwave-safe containers so kids can "heat and eat" them with a cold glass of chocolate milk.
3) Movie Madness Before pressing the play button for the next movie, create a spiced up version of traditional popcorn by adding pretzels, cheddar cheese cubes and a tablespoon of taco seasoning to the mix.
4) Nachos in a Minute Top tortilla chips with shredded Monterey Jack cheese and cook in the microwave until cheese melts; serve with salsa.
5) Anyway Potato Bake a potato in the microwave. Slice open and add leftover chili stew, broccoli or salsa. Top with shredded cheese and microwave again until cheese melts.
6) Breakfast Anytime Heat frozen pancakes or French toast in the microwave for a quick snack with a glass of milk and fruit. Or add sliced fruit to a bowl of cereal and milk. It’s great — and easy - anytime of day.
7) Grab and Go Foods Keep the fridge and pantry stocked with flavored milk, fresh fruit, string cheese, bagels and large pretzels.
8) Shake Up Some Nutrition Kids love milkshakes and they’re packed with plenty of calcium and protein. Combine 1 cup milk, 2 to 3 scoops of ice cream or frozen yogurt, and 2 to 3 tablespoons of flavored syrup. Blend until smooth and creamy.
9) Spreads Galore Top bagels with cream cheese or cottage cheese, shredded carrots and zucchini, thawed raspberries or strawberries, or chopped dried fruit.
10) Crispy Cheese Treats Create Parmesan crisps by baking individual tablespoons of shredded cheese on a greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees F until the cheese bubbles (about 5 minutes).
(Courtesy of the National Dairy Council ® )
Provided by Heather Bauer, a Registered Dietician (RD) specializing in the interrelation between eating habits, metabolism, and lifestyle. Visit nu-train for more tips and tricks and sign up for her monthly newsletter.
Thursday, April 17 2014 11:56 AM EDT2014-04-17 15:56:09 GMT
Good morning! Agnes DeRouen in the KPLC 7 Newsroom with a look at what we're working on for 7News@Noon. A deadly new virus, spread by mosquitoes enters the western hemisphere, and experts say there'smore>>
Agnes DeRouen in the KPLC 7 Newsroom with a look at what we're working on for 7News@Noon.more>>
Thursday, April 17 2014 4:43 PM EDT2014-04-17 20:43:50 GMT
Officials with the VA Medical Center in downtown Charleston say a North Charleston man who was initially federally charged with a $525 fine for an $.89 drink refill will instead be given a warning.more>>
Officials with the VA Medical Center in downtown Charleston say a North Charleston man who was initially federally charged with a $525 fine for an $.89 drink refill will instead be given a warning. more>>
Thursday, April 17 2014 3:20 PM EDT2014-04-17 19:20:39 GMT
According to the Louisiana Attorney General, a Denham Springs man has been arrested on charges of multiple sex crimes against children.Giles Frederick Thibodeaux, Jr., 44, was arrested Wednesday and chargedmore>>
According to the Louisiana Attorney General, a Denham Springs man has been arrested on charges of multiple sex crimes against children.more>>
Thursday, April 17 2014 1:55 PM EDT2014-04-17 17:55:55 GMT
(WMC-TV) - A so-called Voodoo priest's Mid-South home is concerning many people in the area. The man's house and lawn have interesting items, some that appear to be related to Voodoo. His neighbor saysmore>>
A so-called Voodoo priest's Mid-South home is concerning many people in the area. more>>
Wednesday, April 16 2014 10:22 PM EDT2014-04-17 02:22:41 GMT
A dead whale that washed ashore on the Oregon coast was buried at the beach Wednesday. The massive 40-foot gray whale first appeared on the south jetty at Fort Stevens State Park Sunday. Word spread quicklymore>>
A dead whale that washed ashore on the Oregon coast was buried at the beach on Wednesday.more>>