Between work, school and extracurricular activities, little time is left for sit-down meals. Americans are turning to snacks for quick-meal solutions. Try these delicious suggestions that are sure to suit a range of snacking occasions.
1) Nutritious Foods in a Pocket Stuff a pita bread with any combination from the fridge. Try pasta salad tossed with shredded cheese, apple cubes and raisins topped with yogurt, or deli meat and cheese layered with veggies.
2) Glorious Leftovers Portion leftovers such as lasagna, macaroni and cheese or mashed potatoes in microwave-safe containers so kids can "heat and eat" them with a cold glass of chocolate milk.
3) Movie Madness Before pressing the play button for the next movie, create a spiced up version of traditional popcorn by adding pretzels, cheddar cheese cubes and a tablespoon of taco seasoning to the mix.
4) Nachos in a Minute Top tortilla chips with shredded Monterey Jack cheese and cook in the microwave until cheese melts; serve with salsa.
5) Anyway Potato Bake a potato in the microwave. Slice open and add leftover chili stew, broccoli or salsa. Top with shredded cheese and microwave again until cheese melts.
6) Breakfast Anytime Heat frozen pancakes or French toast in the microwave for a quick snack with a glass of milk and fruit. Or add sliced fruit to a bowl of cereal and milk. It’s great — and easy - anytime of day.
7) Grab and Go Foods Keep the fridge and pantry stocked with flavored milk, fresh fruit, string cheese, bagels and large pretzels.
8) Shake Up Some Nutrition Kids love milkshakes and they’re packed with plenty of calcium and protein. Combine 1 cup milk, 2 to 3 scoops of ice cream or frozen yogurt, and 2 to 3 tablespoons of flavored syrup. Blend until smooth and creamy.
9) Spreads Galore Top bagels with cream cheese or cottage cheese, shredded carrots and zucchini, thawed raspberries or strawberries, or chopped dried fruit.
10) Crispy Cheese Treats Create Parmesan crisps by baking individual tablespoons of shredded cheese on a greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees F until the cheese bubbles (about 5 minutes).
(Courtesy of the National Dairy Council ® )
Provided by Heather Bauer, a Registered Dietician (RD) specializing in the interrelation between eating habits, metabolism, and lifestyle. Visit nu-train for more tips and tricks and sign up for her monthly newsletter.
Police say a woman is dead and her mother is injured is injured following an incident in Destrehan. Officers were called to the 300 block of Madewood Drive in Ormond Estates around 9 a.m. Wednesday morning. Amore>>
A neighbor tells police that a resident of the home walked across the street, bloody, and handed her a note saying she needed police.
Wednesday, July 30 2014 9:12 PM EDT2014-07-31 01:12:13 GMT
The tattoo has not previously been seen widely by the public because cameras are not allowed inside Indiana courtrooms. The Indiana Office of the Courts released the photo on July 30 as part of evidence logged in by police and presented to the court by the Floyd County Prosecutor's Office.more>>
The tattoo has not previously been seen widely by the public because cameras are not allowed inside Indiana courtrooms. The Indiana Office of the Courts released the photo on July 30 as part of evidence logged in by police and presented to the court by the Floyd County Prosecutor's Office.
Saturday, July 26 2014 2:09 PM EDT2014-07-26 18:09:07 GMT
A mysterious 'Woman in Black' has been spotted around the Tri-State in recent days, causing social media to erupt with questions about her identity. According to WATE in Tennessee, the Sullivan Countymore>>
A mysterious 'Woman in Black' has been spotted around the Tri-State in recent days, causing social media to erupt with questions about her identity.more>>
How good is Drew Brees? This good. A Vine post of Drew Brees ‘skeet shooting' is possibly the most impressive thing to come out of Saints Training Camp yet. Brees shows off his incredible accuracy bymore>>
A Terrebone Parish woman has been arrested, accused of raping a young boy she used to babysit. Officers say that 23-year-old Denise Lapeyrouse, of Dulac, was arrested on aggravated rape charges. Investigatorsmore>>
A Terrebonne Parish woman has been arrested, accused of raping a young boy she used to babysit.more>>
Fox 8 WVUE-TV
Louisiana Media Company, LLC.
1025 S. Jefferson Davis Parkway
New Orleans, LA 70125