UPDATE: JPSO releases new information in Haberdashery investigation

UPDATE: JPSO releases new information in Haberdashery investigation
Jeff's Haberdashery in Metairie was robbed of high-end clothing by men armed with rifles. (Photo by Michael DeMocker, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune)

METAIRIE, LA (WVUE) - The Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office released new information regarding the investigation into the men who robbed a Metairie clothing store. 

The Jefferson Parish sheriff announced arrests Wednesday after two men, one armed with what victims described as an assault-type rifle, robbed Jeff's Haberdashery in the 3300 block of Severn.

Interim Sheriff Joe Lopinto said a Crimestoppers tip led to the identity of one of the suspects, George Simon of LaPlace. U.S. Marshals and St. John deputies went to the home, where they saw three subjects get into a black Infinity.

Law enforcement tried to stop the car, but it sped off through the residential neighborhood and at one point drove against traffic. Lopinto said the car made a U-turn at a gas station, where it blew out a tire. The car continued to drive on the rim, at one point reach speeds up to 100 mph.

Police chased the Infinity to Interstate 10 and US 51, where traffic had slowed because of an accident. In an effort to escape, the Infinity drove onto the shoulder and rear-ended an 18-wheeler. All three subjects then bailed out of the car and jumped over the railing of the elevated roadway, Lopinto said.

One subject, identified at Ron Walker, fell and was taken to the hospital, where he died. Two others, Simon and his stepson, were arrested.

At the time of the clothing store robbery - about 10 a.m. - two employees and one customer were inside.

One of the victims, who did not want to be identified, said the suspects instructed them to lie face down and then took merchandise including shirts, pants and shoes before leaving in a vehicle. He said they did not take cash.

He said one of the suspects pointed a rifle at him.

"I don't care about anything in here enough to be shot over," he said, "It was kind of like the movies where you know, everybody be calm and everybody's going to go home to their families. I was here for what felt like a longer time, but probably in reality a minute and a half two minutes and fled in that car and was gone."

No one was injured in the robbery.

Copyright 2018 WVUE. All rights reserved.