NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - Five men were charged with gun and drug possession in St. Roch.
NOPD detectives arrested five individuals Sunday in the 2200 block of North Galvez Street after they were found in illegal possession of firearms and narcotics.
According to the report, around 2:30 p.m. detectives received information from a concerned citizen of five suspicious subjects armed with illegal firearms in the area.
The citizen said they believed the individuals may have been involved in an aggravated battery by shooting that occurred on May 5 within the same block, according to the report.
Officers from the Fifth and First District General Assignment officers assisted Fifth District detectives to secure the five subjects after a brief foot pursuit.
The suspects were identified as Charles Kennel, Mekaill Harris, Ulysses Mercadel, Rydell Lewis, and Samuel Harris.
During the arrest, three handguns were recovered – one of which was reported as stolen and loaded with a fully charged, high-capacity magazine. Also recovered were assault rifle ammunition, along with narcotics testing positive as marijuana and Tramadol, according to NOPD.
The suspects were arrested and booked into the Orleans Parish Justice Center on the following charges:
- Charles Kennel (DOB: 11-21-1997) was arrested for illegal carrying of a weapon, felon in possession of a firearm, illegal carrying of a weapon while in possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession of marijuana, illegal possession of a stolen firearm, illegal possession of Tramadol and resisting an officer. In addition, Kennel was arrested on two counts of violating probation.
- Mekaill Harris (DOB: 08-31-1998) was arrested for illegal possession of a firearm and resisting an officer. Harris was also arrested on outstanding warrants for simple assault and battery upon a dating partner.
- Ulysses Mercadel (DOB: 10-31-1998) was arrested for illegal possession of a firearm and resisting arrest. Mercadel was also arrested on municipal attachments.
- Rydell Lewis (DOB: 04/19/1996) was arrested for parole violation.
- Samuel Harris (DOB: 06/13/1999) was arrested for parole violation.
Anyone with additional information on this incident is asked to contact Fifth District detectives at 504-658-6050.