Citronella candle causes fire in North Shore home

Citronella candle causes fire in North Shore home
Source: Flickr Creative Commons

SLIDELL, LA (WVUE) - Firefighters with the St. Tammany Fire District #1 said a citronella candle caused a house fire in Slidell on Memorial Day.

Firefighters responded to the report at 1936 Barbara Dr.

When they arrived on the scene they found a single story residence with smoke and flames showing.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and were able to bring the situation under control in just over twenty-one minutes.

Just after 8:00 am, firefighters received a 911 phone call from the homeowner at the above address advising that the back of her home was on fire.

According to the report, the homeowner heard a popping noise coming from the rear of the home and discovered the fire.

The fire caused damage to approximately 40 percent of the home, according to the report.

There were working smoke detectors in the home, and no one was injured as a result of the fire.

The fire started on the rear deck of the residence, where the homeowner left a Citronella candle burning on top of a plastic table from the night before.

Copyright 2018 WVUE. All rights reserved.