Recipe from Sanda Cunningham of Sparta, Tenn.
- 1 cup ( 8 3/4 ounce can) crushed pineapple
- 1/3 cup butter or shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp.salt
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tbsp. melted butter or margarine
- Drain pinneapple well, saving 1/2-cup juice
- Cream butter , sugar , and vanilla. Add egg , and beat well.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add to mixture alternately with juice, beating well.
- Spread half in a greased and floured cake pan, either 8-in. round or 9-in. square.
- Spoon pineapple over batter, and cover with remaining batter.
- Combine coconut , brown sugar, pecans, and butter. Ssprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.
Cut into wedges, serve with ice cream if desired.