Fatal fungus? Pet owners take precautions after mushroom abundance

Fatal fungus? Pet owners take precautions after mushroom abundance
(Credit: KMOV) (Source: Lowrey, Erin)

ST. LOUIS, Mo. (KMOV.com) - Due to recent rainfall, many people have reported an abundance of mushrooms growing in yards and area parks. However, experts say some of those mushrooms could potentially be poisonous. Clair Thibaudeau lives in University City and said she’s seen several while out walking her dog.

“Nelly would go over and try to smell them and I would always just be like absolutely not, you are not allowed anywhere near them.”

According to veterinarians, keeping pets away from mushrooms is crucial. If ingested, the fungus can cause serious GI irritation, kidney and liver issues and in rare cases death. Dr. Evan Klein is a veterinarian and said pets may not show symptoms for at least a few hours or even days.

“They think that the result is going to happen right away, I think a lot of people are surprised with anything that's toxic that those things can happen days or hours later.”

According to experts, mushrooms with white gills, a skirt or ring on the stem are often poisonous and should be avoided at all costs. Dr. Klein advises all pet owners to seek help immediately if you believe your pet has come into contact with a poisonous mushroom.

Copyright 2018 KMOV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved