NOPD opens new sexual assault investigation into former sex crimes detective

NOPD opens new sexual assault investigation into former sex crimes detective

NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) -We’re learning more about the convicted pedophile and former sex crimes detective who is now at the center of a new NOPD sexual assault investigation. The alleged victim in that case is the same man who says a Jesuit High School janitor raped him while a priest watched.

Richard Windmann says in the late 1970s, then-NOPD police officer Stanley Burkhardt molested him when he was a teenager. Tuesday, the NOPD confirmed the department is investigating sexual assault allegations against Burkhardt, and they have spoken to an alleged victim.

Burkhardt was once a former lead detective in the NOPD’s pedophile unit.

In a TV exclusive last month, we told you about a confidential agreement between Windmann and Jesuit High School. Windmann said janitor Peter Modica repeatedly raped him at the school decades ago. He claims priest and theology teacher Cornelius Carr also knew about the sexual abuse and participated.

Windmann tells FOX 8 he reported Modica’s abuse to Burkhardt in the late 70s and claims Burkhardt then molested him.

Burkhardt was convicted of numerous sex crimes in the 80s and 90s, including possessing child porn and aggravated crime against nature for molesting a young female relative.

He was never prosecuted for Windmann’s allegations. But, according to court documents, Windmann was called to North Carolina as a witness in a 2011 federal case against Burkhardt. The court concluded Burkhardt was “a sexually dangerous person.” And, in coming to that opinion, the judge cited significant events in Burkhardt’s life, including that “while a police officer, he molested Richard Windmann, a young boy at the time.” The opinion also says “the court finds by clear and convincing evidence that the testimony of Mr. Windmann is credible and that the denial by Mr. Burkhardt of this incident is not credible.”

The judge also said “we know that Mr. Windmann was a victim” and was victimized at least 40 times over a two- or three-year period. And, that it happened at the “police station, homes and hotels.”

In that 2011 federal case, Windmann testified that when he was 13, Burkhardt took him into the evidence room and showed him child porn, then sexually abused him. Windmann also testified that after Burkhardt was arrested, he tried to come forward to the police department to report being molested by Burkhardt. But Windmann says he was shunned away.

Burkhardt served time in federal prison but was released in March of 2015. In February of this year, a Federal District Court judge in North Carolina ruled that Burkhardt was no longer required to wear his GPS tracking device. According to an online sex offender registry, he is now living and working in New Orleans.

We went to the address listed on Burkhardt’s sex offender registry. A neighbor confirmed he lives there, but we were unable to reach him for comment.

Copyright 2018 WVUE. All rights reserved.