Accused serial killer back in court
NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) -The case of an accused serial killer will be heard in court Wednesday.
Investigators said Joseph Brant admitted to three unsolved murder. He is already serving time for the murder of Bywater resident Jessica Hawk back in 2008.
According to the New Orleans District Attorney’s office, Brant’s alleged confessions “cement his role” as a New Orleans serial killer.
Earlier this month Brant was set to appear in court but had to be escorted out of the courtroom after having an outburst.
An Orleans Parish Judge will rule on several defense motions in the case.
The investigator said Brant confessed while at The Hunstville Texas Penitentiary where he was being held on a burglary charge to the 2007 and 2008 killings of Kirsten Byrdum, Jody Johnson, and another unidentified woman.
He is currently serving a life sentence for the murder of Hawk.
“Unfortunately we cannot bring back these young women who lost their lives in these very very vicious acts," said New Orleans D.A. Leon Cannizarro. "It gives them some closure and it gives them justice and that the system has worked for them. I’d like to believe that’s what we walk away with this from.”
According to Cannizarro’s office, Brant indicated he wanted to provide information about the unsolved cases in exchange for not receiving the death penalty.
He would serve the remainder of his prison term in a Louisiana penitentiary.
His trial is set for February 4.
Copyright 2019 WVUE. All rights reserved.