NEW ORLEANS, La. (WVUE) - The Algiers Charter Association has announced that the Landry-Walker High School football coaching staff have been placed on probation by the Louisiana High School Athletics Association after it was discovered that six players were deemed ineligible.
The news comes after Landry-Walker was forced to forfeit their win against Belle Chasse High School on Friday. As a result, Landry-Walker was removed from the high school playoff bracket.
Algiers Charter says the LHSAA and local law enforcement are also continuing to investigate what they are calling a “sportsmanship incident” that happened after Landry-Walker’s game at Belle Chasse.
Due to both incidents, Algiers Charter says they are in the process of evaluating and reassigning their coaching staff. The coaching staff has also been placed on probation and will be suspended for the first part of the 2020 football season.
In a statement, Algiers Charter stated,
“We are very much disappointed in the lack of oversight by our association on the status of our student-athletes as we understand how this affects other varsity high school sports, our current eligible student-athletes and our Algiers Charter families and community. We are taking this matter seriously as this oversight does not represent the Algiers Charter athletic program, nor does it represent what LHSAA stands for as an organization.”
To ensure that no ineligible players are participating in sports or practices in the future, Algiers Charter says student-athlete folders will now be reviewed by the athletic director, head coach, principal and the leadership team at the Algiers Charter Central Office.
It was also announced that all coaches in the charter system will be required to re-certify and retake the LHSAA’s sportsmanship class.
Landy-Walker’s coaching staff was recently placed under scrutiny after video surfaced last month of an unidentified football coach shouting vulgarities at the team following a loss.