Safety zone expands at wreck site as search for Seacor crewman continues
NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - Private search boats from Lafourche Parish to Texas were out once again Tuesday looking for the remaining seven missing Seacor Power crewmembers.
“I wanted to come out and give a hand. I have been working the oil field my whole life,” said volunteer searcher David Brasseaux.
In Cocodrie, Brasseaux was part of a search team that involved 22 boats, one plane, and four search dogs all looking for signs of seven missing crewmembers from the Seacor Power.
“There are a few boats out of Golden Meadow, we have fuel set up at every location and we have food set up in Chauvin right now,” said United Cajun Navy President Todd Terrell. He says his group will continue their search as long as the families want them to.
“All the funds we’re getting in will be for fuels and hotels and stuff, and whatever money is leftover, 13 family members will split the proceeds,” said Terrell.
The Coast Guard ended its search 12 days ago and is now focusing on the safe removal of the capsized lift boat. The Coast Guard established a 2,000-foot no-fly zone around the Seacor Power site. Authorities say removal is in the planning stage and there is no timetable.
“Our big concern is the safety of our responders and we will be out there trying to mitigate any kind of marine pollution in the area,” said U.S. Coast Guard Spokeswoman Nicole Groll.
The Seacor Power went down in a storm with 35,000 gallons of fuel onboard and there are oil pipelines nearby. So far, the Coast Guard says there have been no environmental impacts.
Copyright 2021 WVUE. All rights reserved.
See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Click Here to report it. Please include title of story.