Sandbags available ahead of tropical weather
NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) -In preparation for possible heavy rainfall and tropical weather this weekend, some parishes are making sandbags available to residents.
St. John Parish (beginning at 1 p.m. June 16)
• St. John Community Center - LaPlace
• Railroad Avenue Fire Station (near Riverside Academy) - Reserve
• Ezekiel Jackson Park - Garyville
• Juan Anthony Joseph Memorial Park - Edgard
• Wallace Fire Station
• Lucy Fire Station
• Pleasure Bend Fire Station
Pre-filled sandbags for elderly and disabled:
(Limit 10 pre-filled)
• 425 Captain G. Bourgeois, LaPlace
St. Charles Parish
Sandbag locations will be open for St. Charles Parish residents only at the East and West Bank Bridge Parks, as well as the Bayou Gauche location at Badeaux Lane, beginning Thursday, June 17 at 8 a.m.
Residents should only take what they need and bring their own shovels.
The Department of Public Works is preparing for the storm by checking pump stations, clearing storm drains and ensuring draining systems are fully operational.
Tangipahoa Parish Government will open self-serve sandbag locations at fire stations throughout the parish effective Thursday, June 17.
Self-serve sandbag stations will be set up at the main fire station in each of the following communities:
Natalbany, Loranger, Husser, Wilmer, Kentwood, and Independence.
In the 8th Ward, sandbag stations will be set up at the fire station on LA 445 and at the new station on LA 22 east in Bedico.
In Ponchatoula, the fire stations on LA 22 east and west of the city limits will have self-serve sandbag stations, as will the Hammond Baptist Fire Station.
This story will be updated as additional parishes announce locations.
Sandbag locations will open Thursday, June 17 at noon.
Residents should bring their own shovels and are limited to 10 sandbags.
• Plaquemines Parish Government Complex, PROWM Building (333 F. Edward Hebert Blvd, Belle Chasse
• Port Sulphur YMCA, 278 Civic Dr, Port Sulphur
• Buras YMCA, 36342 Hwy 11, Buras
• Boothville Area across from Boothville-Venice Elementary School, Leroy Harvey Park
• Davant Community Center, 15577 Hwy 15, Braithwaite
• Braithwaite Auditorium, 1253 LA-39, Braithwaite
St. Tammany Parish
These locations will have sand and bags provided. Residents are asked to bring their own shovels in case all shovels provided are in use. In addition, residents are asked to limit the number of sandbags to 15 per vehicle.
- Fritchie Barn - 63119 Highway 1090, Pearl River
- Covington Barn - 1305 N. Florida Street, Covington
- Koop Drive - 21410 Koop Drive, Mandeville Building C
See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Click Here to report it. Please include the headline.
Copyright 2021 WVUE. All rights reserved.