FOX 8 takes home 11 Regional Edward Murrow awards, including Overall Excellence
NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - WVUE-TV FOX 8 is proud to announce the Radio Television Digital News Association (RTDNA) has selected FOX 8 as the winner of 11 regional Edward R. Murrow Awards including the prestigious “Overall Excellence” award for the ninth time in the last 12 years.
The RTDNA has been honoring outstanding achievements in broadcast and digital journalism since 1971. Murrow Awards are given to organizations and individuals who demonstrate and embody the standards Edward R. Murrow set for broadcast journalism.
“We’re very proud to be honored by the RTDNA for the hard work our team puts into serving our community,” said Vice President & General Manager Mikel Schaefer. “Year in and year out, we strive to give our viewers the most accurate and relevant information and we will continue that dedication every day.”
FOX 8 News at 9pm, produced Chris Petrey, was honored with the award for best “Newscast” while FOX 8 News Anchor and Chief Investigative Reporter, Lee Zurik, and his team, Jon Turnipseed and Cody Lillich, received top honors in six categories for three different investigative series.
The “Attention to the Details” series was honored for “Continuing Coverage” and “News Documentary”. The investigative series “Discarded Danger” was awarded for “Investigative Reporting” and “News Series”, and the “Strangled” series won the “Excellence in Innovation” award. Lee Zurik and his team collaborated with FOX 8 Analyst and Times-Picayune Reporter Jeff Duncan to produce the series “Saintly Succession” which won the “Sports Reporting” category.
“I’m extremely proud of our incredible, dedicated team of journalists,” said FOX 8 News Director Kristen Palestina. “It’s a great honor to be recognized in this way for serving our community and bringing them critical information when they need it most.”
The honors don’t stop there, the “Hard News” award was given to Amanda Roberts and photojournalist Kia Callia for “911: Facing Ida’s Fury” while the “Excellence in Writing” honor was given to FOX 8 Morning Anchor John Snell.
Feature Reporter, Dave McNamara won the “Excellence in Video” award for “Heart of Louisiana: Hummingbird Nest”.
FOX 8 has been honored with a total of 96 regional Murrow awards in the last 12 years, including Overall Excellence 9 times.
Murrow awards are among the most prestigious in broadcast and digital news.
- Overall Excellence: WVUE Staff
- FOX 8 News at 9pm: Chris Petrey
- Continuing Coverage: Attention to the Details - Lee Zurik, Jon Turnipseed, Cody Lillich
- Excellence in Innovation: Strangled - Cody Lillich, Jon Turnipseed, Lee Zurik
- Excellence in Video: Heart of Louisiana: Hummingbird Nest - Dave McNamara
- Investigative Reporting: Discarded Danger - Lee Zurik, Jon Turnipseed, Cody Lillich
- Hard News: 911: Facing Ida’s Fury - Amanda Roberts, Kia Callia
- News Documentary: Attention to the Details - Lee Zurik, Jon Turnipseed, Cody Lillich
- New Series: Discarded Danger - Lee Zurik, Jon Turnipseed, Cody Lillich
- Excellence in Writing: The ‘Mighty’ Mississippi River’s humble beginnings - John Snell
- Sports Reporting: Saintly Succession - Lee Zurik, Jeff Duncan, Jon Turnipseed, Cody Lillich
Regional winners now advance to the National Murrow competition. Winners of national awards will be recognized at a ceremony in New York later this year.
See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Click Here to report it. Please include the headline.
Copyright 2022 WVUE. All rights reserved.