Terrytown teen charged in murder of 5-year-old sister

Terrytown, La. - A 13-year-old Terrytown boy is charged with murder after police say he used wrestling moves on his 5-year-old step-sister.

A spokesman with the JPSO says Sunday afternoon around 1:30, officers were called out to the Carollwood Apartments in Terrytown. When officers arrived, they found the little girl unresponsive on the bathroom floor.

EMS arrived and attempted to revive the victim for several minutes. She was transported to Ochsner Hospital West Bank and pronounced dead shortly after arrival.

Detectives learned the victim was home alone with her 13-year-old half-brother while the victim's mother was away at the store.

According to the teen, the victim was complaining of a stomach ache and proceeded upstairs to brush her teeth. After approximately 30 minutes had passed, the 13-year-old went upstairs to check on the child. He reported that she was on the floor in the bathroom complaining of her stomach hurting. After walking downstairs with the 5-year-old, the child laid down on the sofa.  A short time later, the teen noticed  the victim was not breathing at which time he called 911.

The 13-year-old was given instructions by 911 operators to begin CPR on the child until EMS arrived. While EMS was on scene, the victim's mother arrived back at home.

On June 17, a JPSO detective conducted an interview with the mother of the victim, 39-year-old Adlourdes Desvallons and her 13-year-old stepson.

The detective learned that on the morning of the initial incident, the 13-year-old was babysitting his 5-year-old step-sister while the mother away.

The boy said he started to wrestle with the victim and practiced "WWE" style wrestling moves on the 5-year-old. He explained to police how he picked the victim up and slammed her on the bed several times and punched her in the stomach.

Additionally, he jumped on the victim and struck her with his elbow several times like the wrestlers do on television. The 13-year-old explained that he knew wrestling on television was fake. The 13-year-old continued by saying the victim complained that she was hurting, but he continued to slam, punch and elbow her for an additional two or three minutes stopping when the phone rang.

The detective noted the 13-year-old was smiling and appeared to enjoy talking about the wrestling moves and physical abuse during the interview. The teen has been identified as Devalon Armstrong.

The victim's death is as a homicide based on the autopsy findings. Her injuries consisted of severe blunt force trauma to the body, multiple internal injuries including broken ribs, lacerations to the liver, and internal bleeding.