DA releases police video of deadly narcotics raid

Published: Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:02 PM CDT|Updated: Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:02 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
A still image from the pin cam video
A still image from the pin cam video

Orleans District Attorney Leon Cannizarro says at least five Orleans and Jefferson Parish lawmen were involved in the raid of Wendell Allen's Prentiss Street home. One was wearing a pin camera that captured images of what happened that evening.

The video is shaky and the date on the video is wrong, but it's a record of the March 7, 2012 shooting of Allen.

"It was a two-story dwelling. The officers entered the house with a battering ram. They actually knocked down the door and entered the house," said Cannizzaro.

On the tape you can hear the sounds of the battering ram and screams of people, including children, in the home.

"The officers obtained a search warrant to search the premises where Wendell Allen and two others were located," he said.

The shaky camera shows the stairs of the home, but Allen is not visible. NOPD Officer Josh Colclough was on the stairs. The DA explains what happened next.

"Wendell Allen appears from behind the partition. He appears at the top of the stairwell. Officer Colclough takes his gun and fires one shot striking Mr. Allen in the chest."

The sound of the shot on the tape is clear. "That bullet causes death," the DA tells us.

There is an expletive heard on the tape after the gun is fired.

"It was clear there was no justification for the shooting," Cannizzaro said.

On the tape, officers go through the upstairs and order other men in the house to the ground.

More than a year later, in a tearful apology to Allen's mother, Colclough still couldn't say why he fired the shot.

As for the pin camera: "It's really in the discretion of the officers when they execute the warrant," Cannizzaro said.

He said it would have been key evidence in a trial. But Colclough pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was sent to jail.

Now, the tape is a record of a shot that changed his and the Allens' lives forever.

Colclough is currently serving a four-year sentence on a manslaughter conviction.