FOX 8 News has confirmed through criminal justice system sources that a teenager arrested Friday for burglary is the same teen at the center of a high-profile shooting that happened last July.
Sources say Marshall Coulter was arrested Friday and accused of breaking into a home in the 2000 block of Royal Street. Police would only say that they arrested a 15-year-old for simple burglary, but they would not confirm it was Coulter.
Back in July, homeowner Merritt Landry was arrested for shooting then-14-year-old Coulter in the head after he caught Coulter in his locked side yard on Mandeville Street. At the time of the shooting, Landry said he felt his family was in jeopardy.
Landry has been free on bond since the incident, and the case has stalled before a grand jury.
One man who says he encountered Coulter on Friday said Coulter's head injury was obvious because of the way he acted and spoke.
Christopher Starnes owns the restaurant next to the Royal Street home that was broken into Friday. He said he saw a teen going through his neighbor's mail and he told him to leave.
Starnes then left to run an errand. When Starnes returned, he said his neighbor told him his home had been broken into.
"The door was open, the homeowner came home and found him inside and was like 'hey, you're in my house,' and the kid was like, 'I didn't break in. I have a key.' He's like, 'yeah that's my key, you found it in my mailbox,'" Starnes said.
Starnes said the homeowner then called police and sat down with the intruder to wait.
"And they sat on the front porch together quietly and waited for the police," Starnes said.
Starnes also said that police who responded to the break-in call told him the intruder was, in fact, the same person who had been shot on Mandeville Street last July.
Police spokesman Officer Frank Robertson sent a statement saying that the 15-year-old who was arrested Friday was taken to the Juvenile Bureau and booked with simple burglary. Robertson said no further information was available in the ongoing investigation.