State Police: NOE gang busted after shooting of trooper's car
NEW ORLEANS, LA (WVUE) - An investigation into the Dec. 11 shooting of a Louisiana State Trooper's car has resulted in the dismantling of a small New Orleans East street gang and the seizure of drugs, guns and stolen vehicles, according to State Police.
The four main targets of the investigation, who police said were directly involved in the shooting, have been identified as 19-year-old Robert Leblanc, 18-year-old Anthony Crawford, and two juveniles, ages 15 and 16.
The shooting of the LSP unmarked car occurred while police were investigating a stolen 2014 Chevrolet Silverado in New Orleans East. While conducting surveillance near Grant and Marque streets, the suspect vehicle stopped in front of the unmarked unit and the truck's rear passenger fired several shots, striking the LSP vehicle four times. Three rounds penetrated the windshield and one struck the front bumper. As a result, a trooper was struck by bullet fragments and sustained minor injuries.
Police did not return fire, and the stolen pickup fled into a nearby neighborhood. The shooting scene and stolen Chevrolet, later found abandoned, were processed for evidence, fingerprints, and DNA samples.
During the investigation, detectives said they identified the four suspects in the stolen Silverado and prepared arrests warrants based on their findings. On Feb. 3, troopers executed six search warrants in New Orleans East, leading to the seizure of nine weapons, a stolen motorcycle, a small amount of marijuana, and the arrests of eight people, including Leblanc and the two juvenile shooting suspects.
On Feb. 5, investigators served an additional warrant in search of Crawford, resulting in the arrests of three more people and the recovery of a stolen firearm and a small amount of marijuana. Crawford was not found but turned himself in to troopers Friday evening. During the course of the search warrants and arrests, police said they found masks and knives that may have been used to commit crimes.
Robert Leblanc and Anthony Crawford were booked with principle to attempted second-degree murder, two counts of principle to assault by drive-by shooting, possession of a stolen vehicle, and two counts of contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile.
The 15 and 16 year old shooting suspects were charged with principle to attempted second-degree murder, two counts of principle to assault by drive-by shooting, and possession of a stolen vehicle.
The following people were also arrested:
- Maurice Curtis, age 28, of New Orleans - Possession of a Schedule 1 controlled dangerous substance
- Eric Brazley, age 27, of New Orleans - Possession of a Schedule 1 controlled dangerous substance
- Jason Glenn, age 17, of New Orleans - Two outstanding warrants
- Juvenile, age 15, of New Orleans - Possession of a stolen firearm
- Juvenile, age 16, of New Orleans - Two outstanding warrants
- Demond Crawford, age 21, of New Orleans - Two outstanding warrants
- Michael Crawford, age 20, of New Orleans - Possession of a Schedule 1 controlled dangerous substance, possession of a firearm while in possession of a CDS, possession of a stolen firearm, and possession of a firearm as a convicted felon
- Darrell Douse, age 21, of New Orleans - Possession of a Schedule 1 controlled dangerous substance, possession of a firearm while in possession of a CDS, possession of a stolen firearm, possession of a firearm as a convicted felon
Copyright 2016 WVUE. All rights reserved.