Man accused of killing NOPD cop pleads not guilty to all charges
NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - The man who is accused of killing a New Orleans Police Department officer back in October has pleaded not guilty to all eight charges he is facing.
Darren Bridges is accused of shooting Marcus McNeil, 29, in the 6800 block of Cindy Place on Oct. 13.
Bridges was indicted on the following charges:
- Count 1 - First-degree murder of Marcus McNeil
- Count 2 - Felon in possession of a firearm
- Count 3 - Possession with intent to distribute Buprenorphine
- Count 4 - Possession with intent to distribute cocaine
- Count 5 - Possession with intent to distribute alprazolam
- Count 6 - Possession with intent to distribute tramacol
- Count 7 - Obstruction of justice in a second-degree murder case
- Count 8 - Aggravated assault with a firearm upon a police officer, Stephan Stephano
Originally the arraignment was delayed due to insufficient funds to provide Bridges with counsel.
Kerry Cuccia with the Capital Defense Project said "circumstances have changed in the last week," and that his office will now be able to represent Bridges in his murder trial.
The judge said he appreciated Cuccia being able to represent Bridges so there will be a speedy and fair trial.
No trial date has been set at this time, but Orleans Parish District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro says his office will pursue the death penalty.