ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST PARISH, LA (WVUE) - Due to the inability to sustain water pressure Parishwide as a result of more than 100 leaks, excessive water use, and freeze precautions, St. John the Baptist Parish President Natalie Robottom has declared a state of emergency.
Residents are urged to stop water use immediately in an effort to replenish potable water systems ahead of another forecasted night of freezing temperatures.
Stop Water Usage:
• Urgent - Residents are urged to stop water usage until further notice
• Little to no water pressure is affecting the Parish due to excessive use, isolated leaks and broken pipes
• Businesses and homeowners with back flow preventers should monitor them regularly for leaks
• Temperatures will warm today (mid 40s) before dropping below freezing again tonight.
• Hard Freeze Warning
• Wind Chill Advisory
• A list of freeze precautions are available at sjbparish.com.
• A pencil thin faucet drip should be used as a last resort during freezing temperatures
• Please shut off water once temperatures improve
• I-10 is closed from Lafayette to Kenner
• I-55 is closed in both directions
• For the latest road closures, dial 511
Closures on Thursday, Jan. 18:
• Public & Private Schools
• Parish Government Offices
• Council on Aging Centers
• South Central Louisiana Technical College - Reserve Campus
• All extracurricular activities are cancelled