Jury seated, opening statements set to begin in Gasser trial
NEW ORLEANS, LA (WVUE) - The jury in the Joe McKnight murder trial has been seated, according to Paul Purpora.
Jury selection began earlier this week, and the jury was seated Wednesday night.
The judge in the Joe McKnight murder trial decided not to sequester jurors involved with the case.
Opening statements are scheduled for Friday morning.
The trial gained national attention after the Former NFL player was shot during an apparent road rage incident.
McKnight's accused killer, Ronald Gasser, showed up to court in a suit Tuesday morning.
He is still in jail after he was unable to post his bond at $750,000 that a judge set last year.
Investigators said Gasser admitted to shooting and killing McKnight in Terrytown in December 2016.
Deputies said the killing happened after a road rage incident on the Crescent City Connection that eventually made its way to the corner of Martin Bernman Highway and Holmes Boulevard on the West Bank.
The judge told potential jurors the trial could last two weeks.
If convicted of second degree murder, Gasser would face a mandatory life sentence.