After Further Review: Five takes from Saints final OTA
(WVUE) - Take One: Defense closes out practice strong
The most intense part of Thursday's final OTA was the two-minute drill in the final period. The defense dominated this day. During the first sequence Marshon Lattimore picked off Brees. It appeared Brees was going to Travin Dural but Dural and Craig Robertson collided when Dural ran his slant route. Lattimore was there to make the easy pick.
On the next drive, Tom Savage badly overshot his receiver and was intercepted by Chris Banjo. On the third drive, Taysom Hill threw three straight incompletions and was sacked by Arthur Maulet on the final play of the period. Depending on how they score it on film, the defense could have had three sacks during this period.
Take Two: Young quarterbacks have underwhelming day
In the past three practices we were able to see, Taysom Hill and J.T. Barrett each flashed impressive moments. That didn't really happen Thursday. Hill looked jumpy and inaccurate at times. Barrett had some missed reads and miscommunication on a few pass plays.
I still think this room is pretty deep; I just don't think either of those two had particularly good days Thursday.
Take Three: Position tweaks
Seventh round pick Will Clapp spent his day at right guard with the third team. Jermon Bushrod ran with the first team at left guard in place of Andrus Peat. Hau'Oli Kikaha once again played at strong side linebacker.
Take Four: Roll Call
Linebacker A.J. Klein participated in team drills Thursday and even recorded a sack in one period. Tre'Quan Smith, Daniel Lasco, Deon Yelder and Trey Hendrickson were working off to the side with trainers. Peat and Cam Jordan were once again in attendance but did not participate. Rick Leonard and Garrett Griffin were not in attendance.
Take Five: Other Observations
- Before his interception, Lattimore wasn’t having a good day. In fact, he drew the ire of Sean Payton when he was beat on back-to-back plays by Travin Dural during the same drill for big gains. Right after Payton got on him, Lattimore made the interception.
- Michael Thomas had another really good day. The guy wants to be great and is showing it even in June. Enough said.
- Speaking of Dural, he’s quietly had a nice offseason. Even before those back-to-back catches today, he had moments in previous practices where he showed up. Today was his best day, but I think he’s been pretty consistent overall.
- Marcus Williams had a nice PBU during the final drill on pass from Brees. Earlier in seven-on-seven though, it appeared he and Ken Crawley had a coverage mix-up which allowed Brees to connect with TommyLee Lewis on a go route.
- In that same seven-on-seven period, Savage hit Eldrige Massington on a nine route for a touchdown over DeVante Harris. This is the third straight practice I’ve seen where Massington has made some kind of big play.
- Patrick Robinson undercut a pass to Austin Carr for a nice pass breakup during a team period.
Copyright 2018 WVUE. All rights reserved.