(WVUE) - Take One: It's time for a game
Monday was the first time all camp, I felt like the familiarity of practicing against each other really showed. The defense played great once again, but I just couldn't shake the feeling that a lot of it had to do with the fact that they easily recognized what was coming.
We've reached that point in camp where it's time to hit someone else and get under the lights of a game to gain a true evaluation for where this team is.
Take Two: Marcus Williams
For the third straight day, Williams picked off Drew Brees. Each interception has been a little different. On this play, it looked like he appeared to overrun a route as Brees was going to his the receiver behind him. But Williams was able quickly turn and undercut the throw for the pick.
Again, like I mentioned above, he's lined up against him now for 11 practices so there's no doubt he's picked up on some tendencies. But that doesn't discount the fact that Williams is having as good a camp as anyone.
Take Three: DeMario Davis makes another play in coverage
DeMario Davis made a fantastic play where he tracked down Alvin Kamara on a wheel route and knocked the ball away. For Davis and Alex Anzalone, they're good in coverage because they can effectively cover routes behind them. Most linebackers are competent in covering routes in front them (flat, curl, etc.) but when they have to track a route downfield they struggle. Davis and Anzalone both have great range for their size. I can't see the Saints pulling either of these players off the field on passing downs.
Take Four: Other Top Plays
- Tyeler Davison sacked Brees during red zone.
- DeVante Harris picked off Taysom Hill in the end zone.
- A.J. Klein made a nice tackle for loss on Jonathan Williams.
- Tom Savage hit Michael Floyd in the back corner of the end zone for a score.
- Savage connected with Brandon Tate on a deep route. Tate had to lay out to catch it.
Take Five: Other Observations
- I’m getting a little concerned about the tight end position. Ben Watson returned on a limited basis Monday but didn’t do team drills. Hooman came off PUP but he’s missed the last few practice for an undisclosed reason. Josh Hill is solid and Dan Arnold has been the surprise of camp, but health at this position is concerning.
- Marshon Lattimore had two great reps during individual drills. While guarding Ted Ginn, Jr. Brees didn’t even attempt the throw because he was so well-covered.
- I’m very curious to see Taysom Hill in a preseason game. Though he hasn’t mastered the offense, I can envision a scenario where a play completely breaks down, and he takes off for a huge gain exciting the fans.